Support & FOUNDATION:
Become a Junior Volunteer (14-18 years old)
Being a Newton Medical Center volunteer is an incredibly rewarding experience. No matter what your interest or skills, there is a volunteer position at Newton Medical that is right for you.
We ask you to pledge a minimum of 50 hours to the program. Once this condition has been fulfilled, Juniors may volunteer three hour shifts after school or on weekends during the school year.
Duties and Responsibilties
Junior Volunteers assist staff with non-clinical functions. Activities include:
- Assisting with the discharge of patients according to policy and procedure;
- Making unoccupied beds under the direction of housekeeping in accordance with Newton Medical Center policy;
- Distributing fresh drinking water, ice, nourishment and/or juices as directed by nursing staff;
- Running errands requested by staff or patients;
- Performing complimentary services for patients such as writing letters, reading, conversing, and other appropriate requests;
- Delivering mail, packages, flowers, etc., as requested; and
- Stock storage units as assigned by department supervisor.
In order to be eligible to volunteer, please:
- Complete the Junior Volunteer Application which includes a Parents Consent Form;
- Obtain two references from teachers/adults;
- Attend a 6 hour Orientation and Training Session; and
- Provide documentation of a current two-part Mantoux (Tuberculosis) test or get tested by the Hospital free of charge.
To download the Junior Volunteer Application, please click here.
Submit the applications and recommendations by April 15, 2011 by mail or in person to Tania Dikun, Volunteer Coordinator.
For more information, please contact Tania at 973.579.8370.