Patients & Visitors:
Family & Visitors
Newton Medical Center...
...welcomes visitors for our patients. Visiting relatives and friends can aid in recovery and improve patient morale.
Our aim is to provide a safe and healing environment for our patients. Rest and quiet are essential elements for our patients’ well-being.
The following guidelines have been established:
- Visitors are limited to two (2) people at a time in order to maintain the privacy and confidentiality of our patients, and to assure a restful environment.
- Visitors should use public restrooms rather than patient bathrooms.
- To protect patients’ privacy and minimize noise, cell phone use is restricted to waiting rooms and common areas such as the hospitality shop, lobby and meeting rooms.
- Please do not sit on patient beds, as a courtesy to patients.
- You may be requested to leave a patient’s room during an examination. A nurse will indicate when you may return.
- Use of cameras, including the camera feature on cell phones, is prohibited.
- Overnight stays in patients’ rooms are not permitted. For extenuating circumstances, contact the Nurse Manager.
- People with colds or infections should not visit.
- Please let our front desk staff know when you are leaving so that others may visit your relative or friend.
- Newton Medical is a smoke-free hospital. Smoking is not permitted anywhere on hospital grounds.
Center for Inpatient Mental Health
- Visitors to Inpatient Psychiatry will enter the Hospital through the west Inpatient Psychiatry entrance.
- Visitors under fourteen (14) years of age require prior arrangements for visiting.
- All visitors must report to the Nurses’ Desk upon entering the unit.
Intensive Care/Coronary Care Unit (ICU/CCU)
- Visitors must be at least twelve (12) years of age.
- It is recommended that visitors remain in the waiting area during shift changes (6:30am–8:00am and 6:30pm–8:00pm).
- To facilitate the healing process of the acutely ill patient, quiet time is between the hours of 2:00pm and 4:00pm.
We do not encourage visitors after 11pm.
Please discuss with patient’s nurse as times may be modified
Emergency Department (ED)
- Up to two (2) people may remain at the patient’s bedside.
- The Charge Nurse may restrict visitation to the department during times of high volume.
- Visitors may be asked to wait in the waiting room during a patient exam for the purpose of protecting patient confidentiality; during the stabilization of a critical patient; if a safety issue has been identified; or at the discretion of the attending nurse and/or physician.
- At the discretion of the charge nurse, more than two (2) visitors may be present during an emotional crisis situation (i.e., terminal patient, death).
- Other visitors will be directed to the Emergency Services Waiting Room. The Emergency Services personnel will be supportive and inform families of patient’s condition.
11:00am–8:00pm (Parents may visit without restriction)
Single Room Maternity
24 hours/day (significant others)
11:00am–8:00pm (Grandparents/siblings and other visitors)
- Sibling visitation is permitted for Single Room Maternity patients with permission from the nurse in charge.
- A maximum of four (4) visitors may visit a patient in the Single Room Maternity Unit.
There are lounge areas located in the main lobby as well as in the Emergency Room, Single Room Maternity, and Intensive Care Unit. Volunteer liaisons are on duty in the emergency room to keep family members informed of a patient's progress and condition.
The Hospitality Shop located in the main lobby provides both a gift and coffee shop. Visitors may purchase a variety of items including gifts, cards, and toiletries, or they may relax with a meal or snack. Please refer to the Nutrition Services section of this site for shop hours.
The Pastoral Care Department at Newton Medical Center is available to help you and your loved ones through times of difficulty. Arrangement can be made for your own clergy person to visit you. Please call the office at extension 8625. If you are calling from outside the hospital, dial (973) 579-8625.
The interdenominational chapel is located just off the main lobby. It is available for meditation and prayer. Visitors of all faiths are welcome.