Patients & Visitors:
The Social Work Department is part of a multi-disciplinary team that provides a wide range of patient/family services that are available within Newton Medical Center and the community.
Patient areas served by the Social Work Department are: Medical/Surgical, Physical Rehabilitation, Pediatrics, Maternity, Women's Health Center, the Emergency Room and Inpatient Mental Health.
Social work services are uniquely designed to meet individual patient's needs in a variety of ways.
Examples of services are:
- Assist with identifying and referring to appropriate community resources to meet continuing medical and financial needs after hospitalization.
- Contact and work with the patient's medical insurance/HMO to access physicians' ordered patient care services and/or post hospital care and equipment.
- Help to arrange hospice or other community services.
- Assist with the transfer process to an acute/sub acute physical rehabilitation unit, assisted living facility or nursing home.
- Provide individual and group therapy.
- Provide counseling to assist patient/family to adjust to illness, disabilities or aging needs.
For community services, social workers provide a number of ongoing monthly support groups, which involve many medically related areas. These are: "Life After Cancer," Prostate and Breast Cancer Support Groups, Caregivers support for the frail adults and elderly, Pulmonary and Stroke Recovery groups. Most of these groups meet in the evening.
Additionally, there is a community information service specifically for the frail elderly and their caregivers. This is designed to connect those at home with appropriate helping agencies or community services.
All Social Workers hold a Masters Degree with New Jersey Social Work Licenses.
Department hours are 8:30 am to 5:00 pm daily, Monday through Friday with weekend and holiday on-call. Early morning and evening hours are available upon request.
To determine how we may help you or a member of your family or for any additional information about our department, please call (973) 579-8620.