Diagnostic Tests and Screenings
Atlantic Neuroscience Institute’s Center for Concussion Care in Sparta provides specialized diagnostic services for patients with sports-related and other mild traumatic brain injuries (mTBI).
Outpatient Testing for Concussions
Our center offers Immediate Post-Concussion Assessment and Cognitive Testing (ImPACT™), a computerized test that assesses an individual’s brain function by measuring several components of brain activity, including memory, reaction time and visual motor skills, attention span and processing speed. We are a Credentialed ImPACT Consultant™ and administer pre-season and post-concussion ImPACT™ testing, which takes about 20 minutes.
- Post-concussion testing – Is administered to individuals who have sustained concussions. Their test results are compared to average test results for a non-concussed person of the same age and sex in order to highlight cognitive deficiencies that may have resulted from the injury.
- Pre-season testing – Serves as an individual’s baseline or measurement of “normal” brain function. If an athlete gets injured during the season, his or her post-concussion test is compared to the baseline to evaluate the severity of the concussion. All parents of student-athletes should consider having their children take a baseline test in the event they suffer a concussion during the athletic season.
There are several steps an individual can follow to ensure the baseline measurement accurately indicates his or her cognitive abilities with a non-concussed brain:
- Understanding the modules – He or she should be familiar with the types of exercises the ImPACT test will require before taking the test.
- Proper test-taking environment – While taking a baseline test, background noise should be eliminated because it can interfere with the ability to think clearly. If a child is taking the test, adult supervision is unnecessary and can be a distraction.
- Not an IQ test - ImPACT is not a measure of intelligence. It is important that your child simply performs to the best of his or her ability so the results yield an accurate depiction of his or her cognitive abilities.
- Obtaining baseline results - The results of ImPACT tests are kept on file at the Center for Concussion Care.
Take the ImPACT baseline test now >
You will need a customer identification code to access the test. If you don’t already have a code, please contact our program coordinator at 908-598-7972.
For more information about the Center for Concussion Care in Sparta, please call 908-522-6146.